Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duster 390 Rebuild

Default Duster 390 Rebuild

Finally time to start the ball rollin on the Duster build. Pulled the 390 stroker out of the Ramcharger that has been sitting since ’09.

Story is the guy had a local shop put it together, and had nothing but issues so he called it quits, parked the truck and kept driving his Neon.

Pulled the motor apart, 4 bent pushrods, 2 lobes wiped off the cam, a broken lifter and the cam was basically “stuck” in the motor.
    I had to knock the cam out, and when it did come out, you could see where the oiling holes on one of the cam bearing surfaces was misaligned and another was “clogged”….so I’m going to guess that something happened with the lifter and cam, it wiped the lobe off and clogged an oil passage, causing the cam to lock into place? Purely speculation, but that’s what I’ve got for now.

The pistons, rods and crank look good.
    One of the cylinders had some water or moisture in it, so there was a rust ring in it that we were able to virtually hone out with a cylinder hone to get the piston out, but the rotating assembly and block are going to the machine shop today to get checked out, and the block to get some work done (tanked, hones, checked, etc). If all is well with the pistons and block, it should be a quick rebuild and on the road in short order. Hopefully so.

I’ll try and post a few pics tonight, there’s not much to see but I do have a few random shots.
    '04 Ram STS Turbo

'06 Magnum SRT8

Good to see you're getting it all started. Should make for a fun car with that much motor.

My first guess would be improper break in of the motor. Which would've ate those cam lobes, causing the clogging of the cam bearings. Eventually seizing the bearings on the cam, in the meantime bending the pushrods and collapsing the lifter. But that's all speculation. There's a number of things that could've cause the carnage. Luckily most of the parts are salvageable.

let me try, im a genius

Yeah it was pretty nasty, two of the pushrods wouldnt come out with the heads on, one lost its "ball" and that was in the oil pan. I'll definately be using an oil specifically made for breakin, probably something like Joe Gibbs?

This is looking pretty tempting...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4120231AC/
    '04 Ram STS Turbo

'06 Magnum SRT8

Joe Gibbs is good oil. I usually use BR30 for break in of about 500 miles, then switch to royal purple.

That mopar cam is a solid choice, I actually have the BB 484 cam in my 383, and it's a good sounding little cam that performs well. What heads are you going to use on the car?

let me try, im a genius

For now they are some cleaned up 360 heads...not sure if I'll go with anything radical in the future or not.
    '04 Ram STS Turbo

'06 Magnum SRT8

pssh...that cam isnt big enough......panzy

Ben O.
    04 RB 4x4 #859
    Crane 216 - Summit 20% UD Pulley - Pacesetter LT Headers - Magnaflow 3in High Flow Cats - Moes Ported TB - Jet 180 T-Stat - K&N FPIK - Zex 125 Shot - Custom Tuned with SCT by Hemifever

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Moes Performance
    Hemifever Tuning

Those will be good for 370-400hp on that motor. If you decide to upgrade I personally like edelbrocks' heads for street cars, they're very well priced and work great. And you can't go wrong with the weight savings of aluminum heads

let me try, im a genius

With stock heads that is a good drivable cam choice.

Joe Gibbs for brake in.
    When you stop playing in the kiddie pool
    SharaDon Performance

These wouldnt even come out with the head on.
    '04 Ram STS Turbo

'06 Magnum SRT8