Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Duster

Default My Duster

Figured I'd make an "official" post with plans and random BS about my Duster.

Its originally a 318 car, automatic, shitty gears, Gold Duster package.
    I've got a 318 based 390 Stroker with a Weiand Intake, Holley carb with some lightly cleaned up 360 heads. Its at about 10.3:1 compression, which is just about perfect for my plans. It has a rebuilt 727 w/ a 3200ish stall.

The 390 needs to be gone through, and at the very least new cam/lifters/pushrods...and will probably get new bearings at the same time. I'm unsure if it will need to be re-ringed or not, but that is TBD.

The Duster needs a bit of body work, namely under the vinyl top and the rear tail light panel. Tail light panel is no biggie...the roof kinda has me scared because I dont know how bad it really is, but it has lumps under the vinyl. If I can "easily" fix it, I will remove the vinyl roof and do all one color. If the rust is bad and gonna look like crap or take a TON of work, I'll fix what I can and put the vinyl roof back on to cover it up some.

I'm not looking to build a show car, nor a full drag car...just a good combo car.

Slightly lowered, some decent meats out back (drag radials), skinnies up front...a bit of gear but not so much I dont wanna drive it across town. The bench seat is going bye-bye and if I can find something like SRT seats, I'll try and retrofit those...but if not, I'll find some other similar buckets and go with that. Suspension will be pretty straight forward...probably some 90/10s, monoleafs and caltracs with a relocated battery to help out a bit more. If its fast enough to need a roll cage, I'll deal with that when the time comes...but I have no idea what to expect out of this to be honest.

I'm gonna take it out of the garage and post some pics this weekend.
    '04 Ram STS Turbo

'06 Magnum SRT8

Oh yeah, to add a little fun at the track, it'll probably eventually get a 150 shot. I have a good buddy who can help me with that, and one of the best nitrous shops right around the corner from my house...so it seems to be a no-brainer.
    '04 Ram STS Turbo

'06 Magnum SRT8

looking forward to progress pics and info!

You should be able to run mid-11's without much effort. While still keeping it street friendly. Should be fun.
    When you stop playing in the kiddie pool
    SharaDon Performance

As much as I hate vinyl tops...it would be pretty awesome if you left it...talk about a sleeper. Repaint it the factory color, leave the vinyl, and lower it with a good looking wheel/tire combo and you've got a pretty badass car that people probably won't expect to be badass.

I have a feeling the vinyl will end up going back on either way. I like the green color it is, like you said...kinda different for a modded car.
    '04 Ram STS Turbo

'06 Magnum SRT8

oh ive been waiting for this because im looking to do something really similar.

who makes the kit for the 390? what components did you use (pistons, crank, etc)? are you using I or H beams? how much machining of the block and where was needed for the stroke and bore (im guessing its like .030 .050 over)? did you have to take any additional steps to help the oiling system?

Ben O.
    04 RB 4x4 #859
    Crane 216 - Summit 20% UD Pulley - Pacesetter LT Headers - Magnaflow 3in High Flow Cats - Moes Ported TB - Jet 180 T-Stat - K&N FPIK - Zex 125 Shot - Custom Tuned with SCT by Hemifever

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Moes Performance
    Hemifever Tuning

Its a scat crank/rods, and I forget which pistons. I bought a donor Ramcharger that had a 390 in it for $500 and am just gonna freshen it up and slap it in the Duster.
    '04 Ram STS Turbo

'06 Magnum SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by adamsredlines View Post
    Its a scat crank/rods, and I forget which pistons. I bought a donor Ramcharger that had a 390 in it for $500 and am just gonna freshen it up and slap it in the Duster.
    i just wondered if they were forged/hypereutectic/cast. Ive been looking at stroker kits from scat and eagle...kinda leaning toward scat so i just wondered what you chose since you are planning on running nitrous on it.

thanks

Ben O.
    04 RB 4x4 #859
    Crane 216 - Summit 20% UD Pulley - Pacesetter LT Headers - Magnaflow 3in High Flow Cats - Moes Ported TB - Jet 180 T-Stat - K&N FPIK - Zex 125 Shot - Custom Tuned with SCT by Hemifever

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Moes Performance
    Hemifever Tuning

They are hypereutectic
    '04 Ram STS Turbo

'06 Magnum SRT8