Thread: Trailer Brake controller, How do I know if it is working?

Default Trailer Brake controller, How do I know if it is working?

Hi, I have a Tekonsha unsure what model but I can check later today, It is just a basic slide controller, I hooked up a trailer that has Electric brakes but the controller didn't do anything no lights lit up on the controller even if I slide it manually. The trailer I used may not have working brakes so It was not the best one to try ( Trailer is going though a overhaul ).

How can I check the controller with out a working trailer hooked up?

Should it light up if I slide the slider over with nothing hooked up?

Any and all tips would be great .

Thanks

2004 Ram 1500 with Factory Tow Package.
    2004 SLT Hemi Black Quad Cab 4WD. SRT-10 Hood, 06 20 Inch Rims SC F5 Tuner, S&B CAI, Power Stop Drilled Slotted tow Package brake kit, Braided Brake Lines, Bilstein Shocks, Helwig Rear Sway Bar and G2 Axle Rear Cover, Detroit Tru Trac rear Diff,Smoked LED Tail Lights, Tinted Windows, All Amsoil Fluid except Torco In rear Diff.

I figured it out today and the issue is in the trailer, I used a volt meter and a test light and everything on the truck side is working as it should and with the test light the controller also lit up. The Controller needs resistance to light up.

Now I need to figure out how to wire the trailer up correctly.
    2004 SLT Hemi Black Quad Cab 4WD. SRT-10 Hood, 06 20 Inch Rims SC F5 Tuner, S&B CAI, Power Stop Drilled Slotted tow Package brake kit, Braided Brake Lines, Bilstein Shocks, Helwig Rear Sway Bar and G2 Axle Rear Cover, Detroit Tru Trac rear Diff,Smoked LED Tail Lights, Tinted Windows, All Amsoil Fluid except Torco In rear Diff.

How does the following plan sound,
    I'll get the Brake kit and the junction box linked to below.
    I'll run 10 Ga blue wire to the brakes along with white ground or get a duplex wire in a jacket but I won't run across trailer from brake to brake I'll do a home run to junction box from each side.

I'll then use a 14 gauge duplex jacketed wire and run to each tail light and then a single wire to each marker, I believe the lights are all self grounding. I gues I'll need to run a ground from junction to trailer as well. I think running home runs will eliminate a few splices.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0098M5L...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/etrailer/e99011.html