Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.7 cummins swapping 3rd gen!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 6.7 cummins swapping 3rd gen!

Some know already but figured I would post it here also. I am in the middle of rebuilding a 6.7 cummins from a 2015 ram. I am going to put a 727/gearvendors on the back for the trans. This setup will be going into a si glen cab short bed 1500 ram. The suspension will Be stock for now. If the truck squats down to much I will switch to the 2500 springs and sway bar.

I cleaned the motor had the crank turned down .010/.010 and got bearings to match. All new gaskets and seals throughout the motor. The entire engine is back together minus the exhaust manifold and Intake plate. Tomm I plan to push the truck in and remove the rest of the v6 parts from the truck to begin the swap.

The motor will be run on a 2005 pcm and painless wiring harness using EFI live to tune it. I will also be piggy backing the v6 pcm into the harness so the guages still work like stock on the dash so it should be a pretty normal running and driving setup. More to come!
    Turbo Charged 392 front mount 1.73 60í 11.60@113 so far!
    Custom longbars by ME
    CMR tuner

Why didn't you try and swap a 05 Cummings truck wiring and PCM, ?

Quote Originally Posted by 345Ramcharger View Post
    Why didn't you try and swap a 05 Cummings truck wiring and PCM, ?
    i am trying to find a harness and pcm complete is the issue. they think the harness is gold. if i can find a deal on a harness and a manual pcm i will go that route. the painless just makes it literally simple install and go and has connections for other pumps and fan control also.
    Custom longbars by ME
    CMR tuner

2FB752FA-8DD2-4188-9357-D52A177A711B.jpg

Truck is in and harness is out. Pulled it all apart and took every single wire I wonít need out of it. I left the coolant and oil pressure plugs is all for now. Also looks like where the brace that crosses just in front of the trans will need to be cut and moved back as I believe itís going to hit the oil pan side where it currently sits. I will need all the factory bracing to stay in the truck so simply cutting and tossing it wonít work. Plasma cutter will make quick work of that if need be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Custom longbars by ME
    CMR tuner

Whats the goal for the truck? Racetruck or RCSB tow pig?
    '04 Ram STS Turbo

'06 Magnum SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by adamsredlines View Post
    Whats the goal for the truck? Racetruck or RCSB tow pig?
    daily driver thats a little fun and wife track toy if she feels like running it. my white truck will be getting big makeover after this is done.
    Custom longbars by ME
    CMR tuner

Damn, just seeing this. Cool project. Keep us updated.

Ok well went to put motor in and it didnít have enough room lol.removed cab bolts and lifted it up a little and walls it went right in. Next I plasma cut off the factory mounts since they are to far forward to be used and they are to far away. I then made new mount plates rears only so far but itís far enough back and clears all the way around and is perfectly straight into the truck which took me forever to measure and make sure it was straight. I also let the truck down and full weight on the truck and it holds up fine so may not need to upstage the front end as my sway bar is thicker than a 2500 truck oddly. When I drive it I will see how the springs and shocks handle it though.

Next issue I have is the converter deal. 5.9 and 6.7 blocks are different donít let anyone tell you there the same I know first hand they are not now lol. The 5.9 plate I have to use will only line up 6 out of 8 bolts to the back of the motor not a big deal will be plenty strong. The main issue is the 5.9 crank is smooth/flat whereas the 6.7 you can see has a ridge around the center of the crank. The flex on the left is the one I need to use and the hole is clearly not big enough but it fits the converter perfectly. I donít want to machine the crank so o had the idea to machine the hole in the flex larger to match the 68rge plate center right this way it will fit over the crank and bolt up. I am then thinking to have a spacer/bushing made to take up the difference between the converter centering snout and the crank hole. O think I am on the right path just gotta make a few things work.
    Custom longbars by ME
    CMR tuner

Got my bushing made up and opened up the 727 flexplate. Now to get the trans in and get the rest of this build going.
    Custom longbars by ME
    CMR tuner

Trans is in the truck and I made a mount thatís not in this picture using the old v6 mount. Motor is together for the most part. Waiting on a down pipe to show up as the factory pipe woth cat is just way to fat and hits the body just a little. Once I have the exhaust figured out the truck will be down and the harness and pcm will go on it. For now Iím also not going to use AC. Once the truck runs and drives I can always Put it on at a later date main focus is run and drive!
    Custom longbars by ME
    CMR tuner