Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 05 hemi Ram twin turbo build

Default 05 hemi Ram twin turbo build

Hello everyone, i am new to the site. My name us Waldo and live in New York City. I have owned my Ram for a littleover 2 years. I had told myself that was not going to touch the truck other than the basic CAI, exhaust, etc. Fast forward and here we are, the performance bug has bit me again. I decided to go turbo with this truck. I have a little experience with turbos, but i am a complete newbie when it comes to modifying Dodges and this is where i need your help. I will have many questions as this build progresses.

First thing i did was weld the oil return fittings to the oil pan. In this pic you can only see the plugs

After removing the oil pan to install the fittings i got a nice surprise, the previous owner had installed Mahle cast piston, though not forged, from my research it should allow me to run and extra psi or 2 of boost. Also the pistons are thermal coated! (Seen with an inspection camera thru a spark plug hole)

I then came across an srt10 rear and installed that.

Then, i started with a support bar to hold the weight of the turbos, which by the way, are a pair of GT30's.

For headers, i decided to go with "log" style headers for simplicity and to keep cost down. I used schedule 10, 304 and 316 stainless with a pair of half inch stainless header flanges.

I started the driver side turbo "up-pipe" which i didnt fully finish as i messed up my welders tip after dropping it. The wire was not flowing smoothly therefore the ugly tacks LOL!

I will get to the other side over the weekend and will hopefully start on the downpipes aswell if i get the mandrel bends before the weekend.

This will be a cool build.
    Welcome aboard!
    '04 Ram STS Turbo

'06 Magnum SRT8

Thanks!. I have many questions with this build, specially what i can remove and get away with without generating computer/tunning problems (such as cats, egr, etc)

Downstream 02 sensors and EGR are easy to turn off when you get it tuned.
    2014 Ram 5.7L 8 spd. 3.92s

It's definitely quite the process building a twin setup on these trucks. I did mine over a winter season. It's fun fabricating everything for this kind of setup though that's for sure. I might be able to help out if you have any questions along the way since I've got a somewhat similar system. Kind of.
    Mac Chapman

TWIN 66MM TURBO 392 STROKER W/ 727 TORQUEFLITE

Here's mine by the way. I've got custom fabricated headers pointed up with a t4 flange on them. So it's a bit different than yours. But same concept. I run two on3 76mm turbos. They're cheaper but great quality in my opinion. Have held up to me running consistent 18psi and an accidental 28 psi pull on the dyno. Haha.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mac Chapman

TWIN 66MM TURBO 392 STROKER W/ 727 TORQUEFLITE

Quote Originally Posted by wdm bee View Post
    Here's mine by the way. I've got custom fabricated headers pointed up with a t4 flange on them. So it's a bit different than yours. But same concept. I run two on3 76mm turbos. They're cheaper but great quality in my opinion. Have held up to me running consistent 18psi and an accidental 28 psi pull on the dyno. Haha.
    Very Nice!, my turbos are replica as well, they are "top of the line" replicas (ball bearing, balanced, billet wheels) but replicas nonetheless. Original Garrets are a lot of money! and I am trying to keep this build somewhere between 2.5 to 3k sans fuel stuff.

I already own a money pit...........

so I am trying to keep this one a little simpler. A lot of people are successfully running replica turbos with lots of success so I decided to give them a try.

Your truck looks awesome, by the way! and more pics or a link to a build thread could help me out a lot!!!

Couple of questions

1) I will get rid of the EGR components, The delete kit that I have seen, been sold online, comes with a plug that goes to the intake which is held by a clamp. Would that clamp and plug be able to hold boost (somewhere between 6 & 8psi)??

2) there is a little valve that is located on the driver side right under the battery and fuse box. It has 2 hard plastic lines, one of which goes to the intake. Can I get rid of it? It looks like it has something to do with emissions, but I am not sure.
    I think I can relocate it if needed, but if I could just get rid of it i would rather do that.

1. Epoxy the plug in.

2. This is the purge solenoid from the gas tank charcoal canister. I would keep it.

Nice setup. Gonna be awesome. Only thing I would do diff if I did one on my truck is mount turbo high enough and run drain into valve cover that way no issues at all with a drain restriction. That's gonna be fast for sure
    Turbo Charged 392 front mount 1.73 60 11.60@113 so far!
    Custom longbars by ME
    CMR tuner